The Berkeley Fiction Review is a forum for short fiction, published annually. We invite submissions of previously unpublished short stories from around the country and the world. For information about submitting artwork, please see the Art tab. For information on our annual Sudden Fiction Contest, please see the Sudden Fiction tab.
When submitting short fiction, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- We only accept electronic submissions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Submission: Name, Title” in the subject line (For example, Submission: John Doe, The Girl in the Pool). Stories should be attached to the email as .doc or .pdf. Please do not put the story in the body of your email.
- Submissions should be typed, double-spaced and single sided with 12 pt. Times New Roman type, and should not exceed 30 pages in length.
- Please include only your first initial/last name and email address in the header of your story. Please do not include any other personal information anywhere on the document.
- Please keep cover letters brief, and add them to the body of the email. Include name, address, email address, and the title of your story. Please don’t summarize the story.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, with notification. Please let us know if your story is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions per author are also accepted.
- Due to the volume of submissions, our response time is generally anywhere from three months to a year. Since our staff is composed of students, expect a delay if you contact us during the summer.
- Payment for contributors is one free copy of the journal in which the story appears.
- All are encouraged to read the Berkeley Fiction Review before submitting in order to get a feel for the work we publish. Our most recent issue is $10, and older issues are $7.50. This price includes shipping and handling. For information on ordering, please click here.